Uniquely Southern Wines at Sugarland Cellars
When people think of wine in America, they often think of the Napa Valley. But did you know that here in the hills of Tennessee, we have our own wine industry? You can taste the fruit of the vine and work of Southern hands at Sugarlands Cellars. Offering 15 different wines throughout the year, there's plenty for any wine-lover's palette to sample.
Even if you're not much of a wine drinker, you may want to give these wines a shot. Most of the wines you'll find at the typical Smoky Mountain winery tend to be on the smooth, sweet side. Sugarland Cellars is no exception. Many visitors enter this winery having never like wine in their life, but leave with bottles of wine in their hands.
Sugarland Cellars offers daily tours and complimentary wine tastings. The gift shop is a great experience filled with plenty of wine-related gifts and Smoky Mountain memories.
Wine Tasting in Gatlinburg
If you're going to stop by Sugarland Cellars, take advantage of their daily tours of the winemaking facility from 12:00pm-5:00pm during the week. These tours start every half hour and are complimentary to visitors of this Gatlinburg winery.
You'll be able to see every part of the wine making process at this winery. Since the entire wine process is handle here - from grapes to bottling, guests can enjoy learning details about the type of grapes used, which farmers the winery partners with, as well as how the wine is aged in French oak barrels on this wine tour. Your tour guide will also fill you in on Gatlinburg's interesting history as well. Additionally, guests can enjoy a tasting of select wines on their tour. The friendly, knowledgeable staff will happily direct you to what wines will suit your tastes, the big meal you've been prepping for, or that big date you're planning.
Sugarland Cellars Wines
So what delicious wines will you be sampling on your wine tasting tour? While there are always some seasonal twists (like hot mulled wine in the colder months), there are some staples that this Smoky Mountain winery. Whether you're looking for a dry wine to cook with of a sweet wine to pair with dessert, you'll be directed to what suits your taste.
Sugarland Cellars Dry Wines
While we all know that most wines are dry to some extent, these wines by definition have no perceptible taste of sugar. So, if you're a fan of these earthy, sometimes bitter wines, you'll have a delightful time taste Sugarland Cellars' dry selections:
- The 1802 - This is a wine from the Tennessee valley's red clay fields, and the aromas and flavors of this unique part of the country are displayed in this burgundy style red wine.
- Hellbender - Sugarland Cellars' winemaster's specialty dry wine. Hellbender is red, fruity, and bold, just as its name implies. However, only limited run of bottles are made for this wine, so make sure to buy a bottle if you like it.
- Greenbrier - This dry white wine features floral and tropical flavors and is perfect for a picnic date in the area of the Great Smoky National Park it's named after.
Sugarland Cellars Semi Sweet Wines
If you aren't a fan of dry wines but can't stand sugary sweet wines, a semi-sweet wine might be for you. From rosé to white, these semi-sweet wines are sure to please.
- Martha Jane Rosé - A blend of red and white Muscadine offers a wine as Southern as sweet tea.
- Baskins Creek Blanc - Named after a creek with an intriguing history, the honey and citrus flavors of this white wine are equally eyebrow-raising.
- Elkmont - Made from Loganberries, a cross between blackberry and raspberry, this full fragrant fruity wine will make you want another glass.
Sugarland Cellars Sweet Wines
Though not for everyone, many guests find Sugarland Cellars sweet wines a new way to look at wine. Made from grapes, blueberries, and cherries, these sweet wines are like a pie in a wine glass.
- Wiley Oakely - A charming combination of Concord grapes and blueberry wines this is a wine for the roaming mountain traveller.
- Mountain Laurel - This particularly Southern wine is made from Muscadine for a wine with a rich flavor and aroma.
- Cherry-Kee - Like a slice of cherry pie in a wine glass, this wine is made entirely from cherries and offers nostalgia in a glass.
Sugarland Cellars Speciality Wines
Sugarland Cellars also offers speciality wines such as Bliss a bubbly semi-sweet blend of Cayuga and Niagara perfect for a Smoky Mountain wedding.
Sugarland Cellars also features seasonal artisan wines Sunny Days in the spring, Dance of the Firefly in the summer, Autumn Path in the fall, and Winter's Blessing in the winter.
There's also the Viognier Barrel Reserve, a special dry white wine, and the Alpine, a floral, citrus German style wine.
No matter which wine you choose. A trip to Sugarlands Cellars is sure result in bring a few bottles of wine to enjoy responsibly at your Gatlinburg cabin retreat.
Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Written by Cecila Jones