The unofficial end of summer is almost here: Labor Day weekend in Gatlinburg! With fun events and plenty of beautiful weather, this is an excellent time of year to visit the Smoky Mountains.
Labor Day itself is celebrated on the First Monday in September, so many of us get to enjoy a 3-day weekend for the end of summer. To help you get the most out of your long weekend in the Smokies, we've made this handy guide to events and things to do in Gatlinburg on Labor Day!
Labor Day Events & Activities
This holiday weekend is an exciting time to visit Gatlinburg! Be sure to check out these fun things to do during your stay.
- Dollywood Splash Country's Last Weekend – Labor Day Weekend typically marks the end of Dollywood Splash Country's season, so this weekend is your last chance to enjoy thrilling water slides and attractions at this excellent water park.
- Labor Day Sales at Tanger Outlets - You'll find great deals at Tanger Outlets in nearby Sevierville, TN. Many shops at Tanger offer extended hours 9 am to 9 pm on Labor Day, so you'll have even more time to find your favorite brand name clothing and accessories.
- Go Rafting on the Little Pigeon River – Labor Day Weekend marks the end of the whitewater rafting season in the Smokies, so it's a great time to explore the wild waters of the Little Pigeon River!
- Visit The Gatlinburg Farmers Market – On the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, visitors can stop by the weekly Gatlinburg Farmers Market that's open from 8:30 AM to 12 PM at the Covered Bridge in the Arts and Crafts Community in the Glades. Not only will you find a great selection of local fruits, vegetables, eggs, honey, meats, baked goods, and crafts, but also there are fun activities for the kids and occasionally live music.
Plan Your Own Labor Day Celebration in the Mountains
In addition to these fun things to do on Labor Day, you can also plan your own fun celebration. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Host a Cook Out – Many of our cabin's come complete with BBQ grills and decks, so these rentals are the perfect place to enjoy quality time with friends and family while you throw some burgers and franks on the grill.
- Visit a Swimming Hole or Waterfall in the National Park – Late August brings lots of warm, sunny weather to the Smoky Mountains, so it's the perfect time to go for a swim in the pristine waterways of the national park! Many visitors like to take a dip at the Sinks Waterfall or find their own private swimming hole in the Greenbriar Area of the national park. For more ideas, check out our swimming hole guide in the Smokies.
- Picnic in the National Park – Grab your picnic basket and enjoy a relaxing meal in nature! The national park has several designated picnic areas complete with bathrooms, grills, and picnic pavilions in Metcalf Bottoms, Cades Cove, The Chimney Tops, and Greenbriar.
- Enjoy a Labor Day Hike – Late summer is a beautiful time to explore the mountains, so why not go for an invigorating hike? High elevation trails in the national park like the Forney Ridge Trail and the hike to Clingman's Dome are the perfect way to enjoy the beautiful sights of the Smokies.
Need more help planning your Labor Day Weekend in Gatlinburg? Feel free to contact our helpful reservation specialists at (865) 436-5031. We'd be glad to answer your questions and help you get more out of your long weekend in the Smokies.
Additionally, we offer Labor Day Gatlinburg cabin specials! With our special discount, you can save 15% on your nightly rate in the Smoky Mountains!
Written by Hayden Brown